Monday, October 26, 2009

Stand for the ESV Study Bible



Recently I was able to purchase an ESV (English Standard Version) Study Bible, it has been an awesome purchase as it does help to learn from an teach the bible. But I came under fire the other day from a Bible Collage Student for reading it.

Let me contextualise it.

I pulled out my ESV during a meeting and started reading it. The person in question just stared at me...I thought they had bible-envy as I had a big bible and there’s was small.

BCS – you shouldn’t be reading that you know.

Me – The Bible? (inner mind – uhh that’s why where here??)

BCS – No the Study Bible, you should just read the Bible for yourself, don’t rely on others notes.

Me – huh? I am reading the Bible, the notes just help put things in context...?

BCS – You shouldn’t rely on other peoples opinion and try to gain the understanding yourself.

Me – (pause)

.....

Me – why do you go to Bible Collage then? Shouldn’t you just try to understand yourself?

BC S – (pause)....(death stare)

Later whilst hanging with a bunch of bible collage students:


Me – Hey guess what BCS is anti ESV study bibles!!

BCS 2 – what?

BCS brother(as in my brother) – ESV study bible is the most comprehensive study bible out there.

BCS 3 – let me give you a quote....”the ESV Study Bible is the best....PERIOD!!!” Mark Driscol....

BCS (orginal) – (death stares me)

Lesson from this... original BCS is going to kill me over time with death stares...I should use the ESV Study Bible to protect me...its thick enough

HEY!! Another use for the ESV Study Bible!!! The ESV Study Bible is the best....PERIOD!!”

True story...

Brian

(please note that the one of the members of the ESV Study Bible oversight committee is also BCS's Bible Collage Principle)

here are some other quotes about the ESV Study Bible: and they are real


“The ESV is a dream come true for me. The rightful heir to a great line of historic translations, it provides the continuity and modern accuracy I longed for. Now the scope and theological faithfulness of the ESV Study Bible study notes is breathtaking. Oh how precious is the written Word of God.”
John Piper, Pastor for Preaching and Vision, Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis, MN
“The ESV Study Bible is the most important resource that has been given to the emerging generation of Bible students and teachers. The ESV Study Bible is the best. Period.”
Mark Driscoll, Preaching Pastor, Mars Hill Church, Seattle, WA; President, Acts 29 Church Planting Network

“Like the ESV itself, this Study Bible sets a new standard in excellence. The craftsmanship invested in every page—from the insightful articles and informative notes to the crisp design and gorgeous illustrations—makes it an invaluable tool for students of God’s Word. As a pastor it’s my goal to get one into the hands of every member of my church.”

Joshua Harris, Senior Pastor, Covenant Life Church, Gaithersburg, MD

“The ESV Study Bible is a tour de force: innovative production, beautiful graphics, and notes by outstanding scholars packed with useful information.”

Mark Dever, Senior Pastor, Capitol Hill Baptist Church, Washington, DC


5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY! both you and alice seem to get the impression that its alice....there are no name or gender indicators...it could be YOU pat...YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. college ... not collage :P

    and very tactful boys ... very tactful indeed ~_~

    ReplyDelete